I just lighted sanded up the wood, both to clean it and to expose the edges a bit more. To give it a more antique look I used SamaN Water Based Stain. For a nicer finish I then rubbed on a little Minwax Wipe-On Poly.
I chose a light coloured, neutral material for the background so that the writing would really show up. I am forever changing my mind so I simply attached the material to the back of the window using Frog Tape. That way I can easily change up the look or colour whenever I get the urge.
I originally purchased the little bird that you see pictured at the bottom from a great little etsy shop called Single Stone Studios...and I think that he was nice touch.
Lastly, I added a couple of eyelets to the top corners so that I could string some twine across the top. I then added some miniature clothes pins so I now have a place to hang cards, invitations, notes and what have you.
The big thank-you note that I wrote across the front of the window was for my hubby for hanging it up for me. My youngest daughter laughed at the way I spelled "hon". She thinks that it should be spelled "hun", but I think that it should be "hon", short for "honey". I don't really think that it is a big deal though. It is not like I said, "Thanks Sweatie!"